During 2018, I’ve decided to focus on three specific areas of self-improvement with the desire to become the best version of me. My intention for these focus areas is to both take care of myself so I can live a long happy life, and to be an example for those around me, especially my children. In a world of instant gratification and quick fixes, I’ve realized those options are not always a reality. So, I’ve created a set of yearly focuses to help me develop long term habits. So without further delay, here we go.
The older I get, the more I realize and value the importance of being centered. Personally, this is accomplished through my faith. It’s been an important part of my life for as long as I can remember, and as I grew into adulthood, it truly became my own. Without a doubt, faith is an integral part of my personal life, marriage, and fatherhood. This year, my goals include:
- Read the bible daily
- …And read through the entire Bible in 2018!
- Spend time (min 10-15 minutes) daily in prayer and meditation
- Read at least 1 book a month on spiritual development
- Listen to 1 sermon podcast per week
There is SO much to learn regarding professional development, so I tried to break it down into a few obtainable, yet value-adding objectives for 2018. My goals include:
- Minimum of 10 minutes per day focused on reading blogs, books, etc related to professional development
- Read 12 business related books during 2018
- Listen to at least 1-3 relevant podcasts per week
- Intentionally develop my personal brand through such mediums as:
This is something I’ve been “focused” on for a while, but I honestly have not been proactive. In the past, failure to live healthier has come from setting unreal expectations. Currently, I’m away from my house for work at least 60 hours a week. Throw in trying to be a husband and father who is actively engaged, hitting the gym for a couple of hours after work, five nights a week, is totally unrealistic. But there are a few intentional steps I can take which include the following:
- 30 minutes or more of exercise in at least 3 times per week
- Get to a goal weight of 190 (started 2018 at 205)
- Use an app like My Fitness Pal to track calories.
- Snack less during the day
- Reduce carb intake
- Sleep more: For years I’ve run on 5.5-6.5 hours of sleep per night and understandably I’m feeling worn out. I’ve recently starting tracking my sleep with my FitBit and am really being intentional on going to be earlier each night
What are your goals or things you want to get better at during 2018?